Two Acrobats, 1927

The Renee & Chaim Gross Foundation

Jazz, 1929

Private Collection
 

Offspring, 1930

The Renee & Chaim Gross Foundation

Chaim Gross with Happy Mother, 1931

The Renee & Chaim Gross Foundation
 

Acrobatic Dancers, 1932

Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington DC
 

Tightrope Dancer, 1933

The Renee & Chaim Gross Foundation, on loan to the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University

Circus Girls, 1934

The Renee & Chaim Gross Foundation, on loan to the Huntington Museum, San Marino, CA

The Lindbergh and Hauptmann Trial, 1934

The Renee & Chaim Gross Foundation

Lucretia, 1941, Lithium Stone

Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington DC

My Sister Sarah, Victim of Nazi Atrocities, 1947

Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington DC

Birds Nest, 1957

Bronze

The Renee & Chaim Gross Foundation

Handstand, 1959
Bronze
Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta

Mother Playing, 1961

Bronze

Fordham University, Midtown Campus, NYC

Young Performers, 1973

Bronze

Pace University, Downtown Campus, NYC

The Performers

Bronze

University of Rhode Island

The Family, 1979

Bronze

Bleecker Street Park, NYC

Chaim Gross was primarily a practitioner of the direct carving method, with the majority of his work being carved from wood. The wood sculptures featured here are among his most important works. Other direct carvers in early 20th-century American art include William Zorach, Jose de Creeft, and Robert Laurent. Works by Chaim Gross can be found in major museums and private collections throughout the United States, with substantial holdings (27 sculptures) at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.

In the 1950s Gross began to make more bronze sculptures alongside his wood and stone pieces, and in 1957 and 1959 he traveled to Rome to work with famed bronze foundries including the Nicci foundry. At the end of the decade Gross was working primarily in bronze, which allowed him to create open forms and large-scale works, as in the selection of outdoor bronze sculptures featured here. Gross's The Family, donated to New York City in 1991 in honor of Mayor Ed Koch, and installed at the Bleecker Street Park at 11th street, is now a fixture of Greenwich Village.